General Director of General Director of Sudan Education & Development Institute (SEDI), Dr Amin Alagib Mohamed Musa
It is our pleasure to present Sudan Education & Development Institute (SEDI) to the university community and the Sudanese public, it was not an easy task to establish such a unique center; as the UMST Administration was looking forward to have a centre that deals with the various aspects of training and professional development not only for UMST staff, but to all universities and institutes in the Sudan. Nearly all university colleges are participating in SEDI activities and programs, the ultimate aim being to improve the competence of all categories of health and community development.
Appropriate continuing education and professional development should provide a bridge between basic training and practice; which ultimately helps to raise the standard of health care personnel.
Several people contributed immensely to the development of this institute through providing useful suggestions and guidance, we would like to extend our thanks and gratitude to all of them.
Last, but not least, we hope that the activities and programs which is provided by the institute will be of value to all those who look forward for improvement and better capacity building for personnel in all aspects.
SEDI was established as an autonomous interdisciplinary institute with orientation for teaching, curricula development, training, consultancy and research in the field of education and development The Institute will also provide in-service training Courses for professional development in all disciplines to improve performance, personal development and career progression for different professions. Is a multi-disciplinary institute that through providing educational knowledge, research and innovation aims to enhance medical education and management education at a local, national and international level.
SEDI works to play a major role in promotion of life-long learning through innovative education and professional development paving the way to transform Sudan into a developed country. The institute’s mission is to interact with a network of national and regional partners to implement practical solutions in Sudan to keep pace with development in different aspects, fields, sciences and research.
Education & Enterprise
Our expertise in the delivery of medical curricula has allowed us the opportunity to help national and international partners develop and implement successful curricula within their local context. We also deliver an intercalated a short courses in Health Sciences (Medical Education) and MSc & PhD Degree in Development Studies.
We are committed to building on existing collaborations with both internal and external partners in the pursuit of the development of new strands of activity and enquiry. Such collaborations are mutually beneficial as we aim to share insight gained via publication, consultancy, delivery of conferences and the delivery of high quality educational programmes.
Research and Innovation
SEDI is involved in conducting and evaluating original inquiry and research; in the development of innovation and scholarship in the field of medical education. The Institute works with a wide range of national and international stakeholders including the academic community, the health professions, the public, regulators, policy makers and other commercial and non-commercial organisations.
SEDI’s areas of inquiry include, workplace learning, assessment and enhancing student learning and we are also recognised as a leader in the field of Technology Enhanced Learning. We welcome informal inquiries from prospective PhD students and postgraduate research students prior to proceeding to formal application.
Evaluation, Assessment and Accreditation:
- Introduce innovative and appropriate methods of evaluation for programmes, courses, curricula and faculties.
- Introduce and educate staff on student assessment tools.
- Help accreditation committees in faculties to conduct self evaluation & prepare faculties for national & international accreditation.
Leadership and Professional Development
The duties of this unit are to:
- Provide certificate for courses of in-service training.
- Provide diplomas for professional development.
- Provide higher degrees in education.
- Provide distance learning.
- Conduct seminars, workshops and conferences.
- Upgrade skills by using skill developing laboratories, site and field training.
- Offer courses in professional development in different fields
- Offer short courses for managers in the public and private sectors, non-governmental organisations and defense and security officials.
- Offer a Master Degree in Development Studies (Leadership Specialisation).
- collaborate with appropriate UMST faculties to run leadership modules designed for undergraduates who wish to develop their leadership capabilities and team working skills
Research and Consultation
The duties of this unit are to:
- Promote research on education methods and assessment.
- Promote and assist other units to conduct studies in the fields of professional education.
- Offer assistance in planning and design of research projects.
- Offer consultations in education and professional development at national and regional levels.
- Offer consultancy services.
E-learning and Documentation
The duties of this unit are to:
- Assist educators in selecting, using and evaluating instructional materials
- Develop instructional materials needed to meet the institution educational objectives.
- Design new materials using Slide / Sound / Video / Audio / Computer film and print technology.
- Establish illustration section to produce graphic arts, brochures, charts and boosters.
- Deliver digital photography services.
- Provide hardware and technical expertise for producing documentary and film services.
Aims & Objectives
SEDI was established with the aim to:
- Build an interdisciplinary network at UMST to address the challenges of education and development in Sudan.
- Offer assistance and support in curriculum development, reform and/ or innovation.
- Produce a critical mass of well trained teachers and evaluators within universities and other Institutions.
- Promote research in education and development.
- Offer consultation services.
- Conduct training courses to promote professional development.
- Arrange national and international conferences on education and development.
- Issue diplomas and master degrees in education and development in different fields.
- Conduct in-service training courses to update knowledge and improve skills and attitude for professional and/or academic personnel involved in educational and developmental activities.
- Train specialised secretaries.