بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
Statement from Prof. Mamoun Homeida the Chairmen of the Board of Trustees of the University of Medical Sciences and Technology
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
Statement from UMST Senate
The Senate of the University of Medical Sciences and Technology convened on emergency meeting on Monday the 25th of February to review and evaluate the unfortunate events that took place at the university precinct on Saturday the 24th of February. The Senate decided to issue a statement to establish and ascertain the following facts:
• Since its founding in May 1996 the University has remained faithful to fulfilling its academic and moral obligations and maintaining academic stability through steering away from political conflicts in order to preserve the safety of its students and continuity of their academic programs.
• The University exerted tremendous effort to continue the study by enabling its students to conducting their exams in a stable and successful manner. Immediately after the completion of the examination, classes were organized for the second semester of the academic year 2018-2019.
• Due to pressure generated by the current political environment outside the university and the suspension of studies of other universities, the students, including a numbers from other universities, congregated and demonstrated peacefully inside the university on Saturday 23rd of February. That demonstration was contained, but the returned to demonstrate and managed to leave the university campus. The denounced the entry of security forces and the police into the campus. This intrusion is contrary to the customs and traditions observed in breaking the demonstrations of students. Those unruly interventions resulted in serious repercussions including the safety of students, university staff and employees, and inflicting damage on the university property.
• The university asserts that it has never asked the security forces to enter the university campus; a preposterous claim circulated in some social networking sites, Contrary to that the University Vice President and the Principal together with a number of the University staff tried to prevent the students from going out into the street, but the student managed to crash the Southern gate, allowing the security men to enter and follow them into the campus and the halls and laboratories leading to considerable damage.
• Feeling great pain coupled with sadness and grief, the Senate has decided to suspend the study at the University pending completion of the investigations conducted by the University’s administration. At a parallel level the efforts of the top Management resulted in the release of the students detained by security forces on the same day of arrest, The detainees including included professors, administrators and students
• It is worth mentioning that Professor Mamoun Homida has made a determined effort with the concerned authorities to ensure the release of all students detained by the security forces.
• Finally, the University wishes to reassure its staff and parents that it will continue its academic mission, characterized by discipline and academic stability.
Senate Meeting no. (13/2017) will be held on Wednesday 13 December, 2017 to approve the following results:
UMST Senate will approve the following results on Wednesday 8 November, 2017: Read more…
In its meeting no. 08/2017 the Senate discussed businesses from Faculty Boards of Pharmacy, Engineering, Nursing Sciences, Read more…